Wednesday, April 15, 2009

AIPS Scripting: Progress Update

From reader Bruce:

This scripting stuff is very useful, but I can't find scripting AIPS #3 and etc. Is it out there?

I have lots of files to input, run sdgrid on, then write out. I have no idea how I could go about making sure stuff gets in the right slot to work for any given task.

The short answer is that I haven't gotten around to writing it yet. (thesis) I'll put it on my to-do list for my observing run next month. It's a good task for 2 in the morning. I'll post an example script without commentary, in case some one would find it useful.

The slightly longer answer is that you don't need to worry about catalog slots. Instead of dealing with stuff through the getn mechanism, i.e., getn 209, you want to use the actual name of the file (INNAME, INCLASS, INSEQ, INDISK, etc.). That way you know you have the file you want, and don't have to depend on the catalog number always being the same.




No comments: