Sunday, August 17, 2008

MSGSRV Aesthetics

I've been wanting a scrollbar in my MSGSRV for as long as I can remember, and I finally got one! This is how I did it (on my Mac, running X11)...

I made a .Xdefaults file in my home directory with these lines:


AIPSmsg*scrollBar: True
AIPSmsg*saveLines: 500

I quit out of AIPS and in the xterm where I was running aips, I typed:

xrdb -load ~/.Xdefaults

to make my computer register the .Xdefaults file.

When I started up AIPS again, I had a scroll bar! This page gave me this hint, plus tells you how to change other MSGSRV settings, like colors.

2 comments:

amanda said...

You can do all sorts of neat stuff with this. The code below takes your message server and moves it to the right of your screen and makes it green. I've been meaning to post this for a while, so thanks for reminding me, Laura!

Put the following in ~/.Xresources

AIPSmsg*scrollBar: True
AIPSmsg*saveLines: 1000
AIPSmsg*tekInhibit: True
AIPSmsg*background: PaleGreen
AIPSmsg*geometry: 80x58+780+0

Laura said...

I think depending on your X-term server and maybe your shell, you either call the file .Xdefaults or .Xresources?